Original Name: Duramold Building
Date of Construction: 1943
Architect: H. L. Gogerty
Total Building Area: 34,533 SF
Original Use: Production facility and boiler room for the Flying Boat project
History/Significance: Building 16 was constructed along with Buildings 14 and 15 for the Flying Boat contract and was used as a production facility for the laminated wood components of the project. It is the southernmost building in the Cargo Complex and is attached at its north side to Building 15. It contains two major components—the original Duramold Room and the boiler room. Along with Buildings 14 and 15, most of the building was constructed of wood due to the shortage of industrial materials during World War II. The exception to the all-wood rule was the boiler room, which was constructed entirely of concrete. The laminated, molded wood used for the arches in Buildings 15 and 16 and for the construction of the Flying Boat was manufactured in Building 16.
Rehabilitation: Rehabilitation of Building 16 is currently underway. It will remain connected to Building 15 internally and will house creative office space. For more images of Building 16, click the arrows at left.