Original Name: Engineering & General
Date of Construction: 1942
Architect: H. L. Gogerty
Total Building Area: 70,649 SF
Original Use: Engineering Offices
History/Significance: Construction began on Building 2 in the fall of 1942, shortly after the receipt of the Flying Boat contract. Designed by architect H.L. Gogerty, it was conceived to house many of the non-manufacturing functions associated with the project, including engineering, research and design, and administrative services. The south half of the first floor was dominated by a large, open drafting room where design work was done. The Engineering Department was in another large open room that occupied much of the north end of the floor. Filled with desks and drafting tables, the room was shared by the stress analysis, aerodynamics, and weight departments. Offices of managers and senior staff were located around the perimeters of the large work rooms. The central portion of the ground floor housed additional offices and smaller work rooms. The engineering files room, a 28-foot by 26-foot reinforced concrete vault where engineering drawings and other documents were stored in floor to ceiling flat files, was also located in this central section.
Rehabilitation: The rehabilitated interior of Building 2 is modern and inviting. One of its central features is an auditorium space, which features natural light from a new light well and the recycled wood flooring from UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion. The wood flooring was salvaged from the arena after floods in 2015. Building 2 is connected to Building 1 by a beautifully landscaped courtyard, featuring an original allée of Sycamore trees, a wood boardwalk, and plenty of outdoor seating options for employees. For more images of Building 2, click the arrows at left.